- Additional categories include: Green Healthcare Building, Green Public Building, Training Initiative and Sustainable Urban/Community Development Design of the Year
Dubai, UAE; November 01, 2017: Emirates Green Building Council (EmiratesGBC), an independent forum aimed at conserving the environment by strengthening and promoting green building practices, hosted the winners of the MENA Green Building Awards 2017 and launched next year’s edition with four additional categories based on industry stakeholder feedback.
At the event held at TIME Oak Hotel & Suites in Barsha Heights, EmiratesGBC brought together the winners of the MENA Green Building Awards 2017 to present their winning ideas and initiatives as part of a knowledge-sharing initiative to promote sustainable built environments.
EmiratesGBC also announced the launch of the MENA Green Building Awards 2018 with four additional categories adding to the existing 15 professional award categories and sub-categories. These awards have been instituted based on the feedback received from various industry stakeholders, and include recognitions for the Green Healthcare Building, Green Public Building, Training Initiative and Sustainable Urban/Community Development Design of the Year.
Saeed Al Abbar, Chairman of EmiratesGBC, said: “The winners showcase of the MENA Green Building Awards 2017 highlight our commitment to share industry best practices with all stakeholders in the building industry supply chain to accelerate the adoption of innovative green building practices. By sharing knowledge on how the winners achieved significant results in enhancing the built environment sustainability, we hope to lend further traction to the concerted focus on promoting green buildings.
“We are also expanding the number of categories for the awards next year to reflect the impressive achievements made in different sectors across the region, including the development of sustainable communities and in promoting training programmes to help develop a new generation of professionals to steer the green building sector.”
The MENA Green Building Awards honoured organisations that demonstrated clear implementation of sustainable design, construction and/or operation of buildings and structures. The goal of the annual initiative is to establish a regional model for the sustainable built environment that is world class and replicable.
Habiba Al Marashi, Founder & Treasurer of EmiratesGBC Board of Directors, presided over the event, which included an overview on the awards cycle and the application process, followed by winners’ presentations and a Q&A session between the winners and the audience.
The 2017 winners included:
- Hilton Garden Inn Mall of the Emirates, submitted by Majid Al Futtaim (Green Hotel of the Year)
- Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi (Green Commercial Building)
- University of Dubai, submitted by Kier Dubai LLC (Green School)
- The Sustainable Autonomous House, submitted by Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre (Green Residential Building)
- Neighbourhood One Residences Phase 1, submitted by Multiplex/Woods Bagot (Sustainable Design)
- Emaar and CBFA joint venture Partnering Innovation (Facility Management Organisation)
- Consolidated Contractors Company (Green Contractor)
- Majid Al Futtaim (Developer of the Year)
- Daikin inverter R32 Split, submitted by Daikin Middle East and Africa (Energy Management)
- Edmonds EcoPower Hybrid Ventilator, Synergy United (Green Product/Material – Indoor Air Quality)
- Recycled Crushed Aggregates, submitted by Al Dhafra Recycling Industries in partnership with Center of Waste Management Abu Dhabi – TADWEER (Green Product/Material – Conventional)
- Third Working Spaces as Means to Improve Comfort in Office Buildings in the UAE, submitted by Consulting Engineering Office (Research of the Year)
- The Fairmont Palm Hotel & Resort – Guaranteed Savings Energy Performance Contract, submitted by Taka Solutions (Retrofit Project of the Year)
- Emaar & CBFA joint venture on Operational & Sustainability Practices at The Dubai Mall (Operations & Maintenance – Existing Buildings)
The Annual MENA Green Building Awards identify, recognise and highlight organisations for innovative and outstanding sustainable building principles and practices. They are designed to facilitate greater understanding of the contributions from the construction sector to sustainable development, and lead to exchange of ideas and good practice in sustainability in the MENA region.
The Awards are open to all organisations including public and private sector enterprises, associations, consultants and practitioners who can clearly demonstrate innovation and a high level of excellence in sustainable principles and practices in the MENA Region. For more details on submissions and deadlines visit http://emiratesgbc.org/awards/2018awards/
EmiratesGBC regularly hosts and participates in multinational events, conferences and forums. It has also developed a suite of activities, inclusive of networking events, technical workshops, focus days and facilitated training based around specific issues related to the built-environment that meet the needs of its members, of the UAE community and the wider Middle East.