The Dr. Owainati Student Excellence Award, sponsored by EmiratesGBC Co-Founder Dr. Sadek Owainati, specifically rewards a student from a recognized university in the United Arab Emirates who has conducted exceptional research work in a subject related to green buildings in the Middle East.
Since 2013, the Dr. Owainati Student Excellence Award has offered students with focused research on sustainable building principles an opportunity to be recognized for their work and contribution to the field.
Undergraduate and graduate students attending a university in the UAE full time are encouraged to apply. The winning submission has the chance of being rewarded with a cash prize, subject to receiving the required scores from judges.
Deadline is set on 01 February 2018 (midnight UAE time) for applications.
This point will be strictly applied by the EmiratesGBC Office Team, and any application received after this deadline will not be considered in the review process.
It is highly recommended to read the Applicant Guidelines for more information regarding the respective judging criteria.
To participate the submission should comply with the following terms and conditions:
However, and as a promotion of green building best practices throughout the building life-cycle, the topic can be expanded to phases of design, construction, commissioning, retrofit and re-commissioning.
Sustainability-related topics, whether theoretical or practical, that do not have any connections to green buildings will not be considered eligible.
Emphasis should be put on applicability of the research to the MENA region in order to capture the regional climatic, cultural and economic specificities.
- Enrolled in an accredited university based in the UAE at the time the research was conducted;
- Students must be studying engineering, architecture/design or environmental science;
- Post-graduate or undergraduate student (Bachelor, Master, PhD);
- Topic focus is applicable to MENA geographical context – see above-mentioned point;
- Submission of research produced 2016 or thereafter within the last 2 years, i.e. between 2016 and 2018 (included);
- All supporting documents have been submitted;
- Only one application per student will be allowed.
The EmiratesGBC Office Team has the right to determine if the topic submitted does not comply with the EmiratesGBC Student Excellence Award’s eligibility and rules and thus to disqualify the application if needed.
- Academic paper with a strict limitation to 10-page maximum. Longer papers will not be accepted. Students are invited to structure their submission based on a set of comparable sections which will be shared in the Applicant Guidelines (eg. Amongst others to be agreed upon: Introduction, Hypothesis, Methodology, Discussion, Resources …)
- Standardized executive summary of the paper;
- Supporting data / annex documents;
- Cover letter (300 words maximum) from the student explaining why the submission is worthy of the accolade;
- Assessment and recommendations from one (1) faculty staff who is familiar with the student’s work.
Participation in the 2018 Dr. Owainati Student Excellence Award is free of cost.
- Professional Background: members of the academia; professionals in the field of green building industry and sustainability;
- Sectors of activities: both public and private sectors.
- Gender: a proactive gender balance is strongly encouraged.